Quantcast

How did you get into Kpop?

12

How did you get into Kpop?

kcraylindsay
Administrator
This post was updated on .
"How did you get into Kpop!?"
I get asked this question a lot, hihi, seriously so many times.  It doesn't only come from fellow kpoppers on youtube, but pretty much in my everyday life people want to know why I have kpop bands pictures up in my work station, or why half of the music on my ipod is in korean.  People also wonder why I choose to watch Korean TV shows over American TV shows.   To be honest its not that I don't like American Music or American TV but I do appreciate International music and TV as well.   I don't only listen to Kpop, I listen to many artists around the world,  I just happen to really really really like Korean Entertainment.   How did it all start?  I blame Naruto, haha...it sounds weird but that is where it all started!

I have always loved international music.  In fact I grew up watching and listening to French Musicals.  My favorites being "Le Roi Soleil",  "Notre Dame de Paris", and "Roméo et Juliette" to name a few.  If you have never listened to "Je fais de toi mon essentiel" you must go and do that now!!!!
"Je Fais de Toi Mon Essentiel" link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17CFKRwNd-0
Haha in the meantime fell head over heels for this dude

It didn't seem strange that my favorite singer was a guy from the other side of the world, he was still my favorite.   My friends also loved listening to french musicals with me and even though my best friend didn't understand a word of French she would still sing along with me!(haha I would laugh at what she was singing, but it was still cool! I'm sure Koreans would laugh at my singing along with Kpop XD)
I didn't mind explaining what the songs meant or explaining simple cultural things that were different from music in the US.  All in all we just loved Christophe Mae and his awesome music.   While I shared French Musicals with her, my best friend also wanted to share Mangas with me......   I thought it was so weird that she loved Manga and I would always kind of mock her.....(in retrospect... I'm sorry Chels!!!)
It wasn't till I was in Cali with my Family at Disneyland,  after a day of stress and sibling fighting I ended up in the bookstore in Downtown Disney. (Bookstores are my refuge!)  Nothing really looked interesting till I came across the manga section and the story of a little ninja named Naruto!

 I read the first book, and then the second while waiting for my family...and then bought several more to read whenever we had some down time.  Even though I grew up watching Pokemon and Sakura Card Captors, Naruto was my first foray into Asian Culture.   ....now 60+books later, all Naruto + Naruto Shippuden dvd seasons, movies, and many Naruto figurines later  I have quite the collection!  haha all in all Naruto basically opened up the door to my love of Manga.  Soon after I read lots and lots of series, my favorites of course, are Naruto and Rurouni Kenshin.  My two best friends and I would look up new series, exchange series and read lots of things online.  One day one of my friends discovered some drawings that really made an impression on her.

We looked all over to find out what the drawings came from, but since there was no writing on them, it took us quite a while.  We discovered that it was the Manhwa "Goong"  hihi our first introduction to something Korean and not Japanese.   We also discovered that Goong was being made into a Korean Drama.  (This is the beginning of our weekly kdrama girls night :)  haha we still get together almost once a week and watch an episode or two of the latest drama )

This was back in late 2006 early 2007 :)  I remember reading the manga online and being so excited for the Drama.  I also remember hearing that the main actress was Yoon Eun Hye, and a lot of people were unhappy about it.   Why?  Because she was an "idol singer" and not an actress.  Kind of funny to think about now, since she is now known as a great actress! Anyways,  I had never heard of Kpop or even about Korean singers.  While watching the drama I became even more curious to see what kind of singer she was or even what kind of music they had in South Korea.   I was used to watching my French MV's on Youtube, and figured why not look for Korean music there... and Voila Quoi, the first kpop music video I ever saw.....BABY V.O.X. "By Chance"
Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEM9vuvNcwk
I thought it was kind of strange and it didn't really interest me....but in the suggested videos on the side bar was another video

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVetyA1KfG0
And this hottie stole my heart the minute he started singing!

 To this day he is still my absolute favorite singer!!!! The one I listen to when I'm sad, happy, mad or stressed!  Haha and even though I'm not quite sure what is going on right now with him... à la too much swag, hair, strange fashion sense, and tattoos....I still LOVE him!  hihi and I still see him as the cutie I've watched all these years.

The sweet adorkable Dong Youngbae is still there deep down inside under all that swag XD

A long the way I have ran into many other groups that have really made a mark on me but the things in Kpop that have really drawn me in  besides the music and vocals are the
Synchronized dances

cool MVs

the eyecandy

the kpop derps

Awesome fandoms

All those funny gifs of my favorite bands

Korean Variety

In short I just love Kpop!

In closing a lot of people ask me how can I like music that I don't understand.   Well you don't necessarily have to understand what someone is saying to hear the emotion in someone's voice or understand the tone of the music.  Music is an international language :)  In fact a good friend of mine moved to the US from Taiwan when she was in 2nd grade.  She only spoke Chinese and we only spoke English.  She had no way to communicate to us, but she would play her violin to tell us if she was happy or sad.  It was from this experience that I learned that even though we speak different languages, music can be a bridge between two cultures!  Just as Jongdae :)

Well What is your story?  How did you get into Kpop!

Re: How did you get into Kpop?

Aimssi
haha I was always wondering how you got into kpop~

I guess being an art student I ran across SHINee's Lucifer online shortly after it came out and I was mind blown. Something had never affected me so strongly and deeply and I became absolutely obsessed with it and these strange asian boys??

and eventually I bought the lucifer album (with much confusion about it upon arrival haha) and the rest is history~
♔SHINee♔

aimissi.tumblr.com ♥(ノ´∀`)

Re: How did you get into Kpop?

kcraylindsay
Administrator
Haha very true, Kpop music videos are strangely enchanting!  Especially Shinee's Lucifer!  I had heard of Shinee before but they didn't really interest me until Lucifer!

Ooh and getting your first Kpop album is always exciting!  haha and confusing....like why does this not look like american cds.....is the seller I just bought this from legit!?    haha and then there is this sudden downfall when all of your extra spending cash goes to your boys!   YG is draining me....haha with all the BB releases this year and they haven't even had a group album release!

Re: How did you get into Kpop?

indecisiveCHIBI
I actually only got into kpop two years ago, at the end of 2011. But ever since then I've been so immersed into it; I spend every single day watching kpop videos, Korean variety shows, and more. I seriously can't live without it.

I've always loved manga ever since I was little, because my older brother used to read Naruto manga. & Looking through the manga they had at the library, I was introduced to shoujo/romance manga. & I guess you can say the girly side of me finally came out haha. (I've always played video games, and never Barbies or anything like that. I blame my older brother. xD) I used to read so much manga, it was crazy. I probably read over 50 mangas at the same time, because they updated too slow. xD I also loved manhwas, especially by Hwang Mi Ri. :) But anyway, my first Korean drama experience was when I read the manga Boys Over Flowers. & Since I loved it so much I just had to watch the anime version, then I watched the drama version. I was obsessed! But I knew nothing of kpop or Korean culture then. I loved Big Bang's Haru Haru and Taeyang's Wedding Dress though, which were especially popular amongst my classmates.

It was in 2011 when I met a friend online. And she first introduced me to SNSD. I found these kpop videos a bit weird at first, so many girls dancing in sync, ahhhh. I also had a lot of trouble getting their names down. But don't worry, I'm an expert at kpop groups' names now haha. It was when I watched the SNSD Running Man episode that I fell in love and decided to watch every single episode of it. Yes, every SINGLE EPISODE. xD (I even got my brother who refuses to watch any kpop videos to watch it, and he fell in love too. Haha, now he has watched every episode as well. This craziness must run in the family.) After watching Running Man, I watched the WGM YongSeo and KhunToria series. That was how I found out about 2PM, and all those boy groups. & To just cut the story short, I am now addicted to boy groups and am currently a huge EXO stan. :)

Ahhh that took a while, I swear I can write a book with all of my experiences.

Re: How did you get into Kpop?

xXSong4UXx
I was in art club, and I noticed my friend, Chrissy, listening to something on her phone. I asked what she was listening to, and she handed me an ear bud. It was SS501's Love Like This, and I found it really catchy.

I know it was in a language I couldn't understand, but I'm a open-minded person who likes try new things! I began to look up more Kpop songs, and I'm now a fangirl for life~
LOVE K-POP~!!^o^

Re: How did you get into Kpop?

goodtimesrmine
I got into kpop through this friend I had who was actually from Korea! :D It was around the beginning of 2010. He showed f(x)'s Chu,SHINee's Ring Ding Dong, and Girl's Generation's Oh!. Oh! and Chu are my favorite songs from those two groups even til today! After that I kept discovering new groups and songs on youtube and my fascination for them grew. :D Even though I didn't understand what they were saying, I was willing to have an open mind and to give it a chance. My instant favorites were SHINee, Bigbang, and 2NE1!!! I'm so glad my friend showed me the wonderful world of kpop! :) Whether they speak the language or not, music is a language that speaks to everyone because it speaks to their emotions. Kpop stars are soo funny and honest. Its nice to see when they show much they care for their international fans because we sometimes feel like we may be forgotten because we're not from Korea but we enjoy the music just as much as Korean natives might. The male groups are sooo attractive which is always a bonus lol. :)

Kris :)
Love, Peace, Kpop <3

Re: How did you get into Kpop?

KpopFan.EXO
For me it was somehow coming across Big Bangs "Haru Haru" video the song was really good and the video was really good but sad then i saw SHINee's "Lucifer" on the popular page this was all in 2010 then i listened to some SNSD, 2ne1, Secret, and F(x) also some Big Bang and SHINee but i didn't get too much into the Kpop fandoms until later i listened to it but it didn't go much further than that until i met my best friend and she was into it and hearing her talk about it i decided to go all the way into the Kpop fandom and boom my life was ruined. Haha (not really ;)
dee

Re: How did you get into Kpop?

dee
I was just looking around on youtube and I found an interesting looking video on the front page. It turned out to be I am the Best by 2NE1 and at first I was a little weirded out. The clothes, the sets and the music itself seemed kinda odd to me. I left it and didn't think anything of it. Just another one of those 'odd' videos on youtube...

Over the next few weeks I found myself going back to that video and began to love it. So I started looking at other videos, which is when I found Lollipop and first saw Big Bang. I also remember watching Knockout pretty early too and it took me ages to work out that it was in fact the same people in that Lollipop MV!!

After that I fell in love with it and found myself watching everything I could find about the two groups. I watched Big Bangs parodies and that is what got me into kdrama!

Re: How did you get into Kpop?

PhoenixStar
I got into K-pop in kind of a strange way. I'm into video games (huge gamer here) and through that I got interested in competitive video games otherwise known as E-sports. Especially StarCraft, because I played it a lot when I was younger and still do! Pro players will do live streams to practice, entertain fans, and get ad revenue. I was watching a pro named HuK streaming while he was in Korea and he was playing K-pop in the background. The first two songs I remember hearing were Beast's Breath and 2PM's 10 Out of 10. I loved it! From there on I was hooked! Later on my love of K-pop got me into K-drama with Rooftop Prince, and now I'm branching out into other Asian dramas and music!

Re: How did you get into Kpop?

Clayer95
How i got into kpop huh... Well before kpop i was really into anime so i watched a lot. But after a while I found that there are a lot of Japanese Live Action dramas so i decided to give them a try. I watched Hana Yori Dango and fell in love with it. Then i saw that there is a korean version so i also watched. The name of it was Boys Before Flowers:

And there were quite a lot of cool songs there. And after I heard Kim Hyun Joong song - Because I am stupid... bang fell into kpop world:
Kim Hyun Joong - Because I am stupid

Then I went searching for more of his songs and I found that he is part of a boy band group SS501. And that's how i watched my first kpop video
SS501 - A song calling for you

So i started searching for more and more of their songs and i discovered a lot of other groups like Big Bang, Shinee, Super Junior etc.

Re: How did you get into Kpop?

MariahEliz0112
My friend used to listen to a lot of JPOP and she would always have me listen to Japanese songs and watch Japanese videos. I really liked it! But  she then suddenly jumped on to KPOP and showed me Big Bang. This was a few years ago, and i didnt really get into them. But one day i was like 'hmmm..... im gonna give this a try' and i started listening to Big Bang and i love it so much!! From then on KPOP has been everything to me!

Hahaha im more into KPOP than my friend that introduced me to it xD But it is such an awesome genre of music and im forever greatful for her for showing it to me <3

Re: How did you get into Kpop?

randomlooking
This post was updated on .
so basically my story is identical to lindsay's story. the same friend who got her into manga got me into manga (so chels when you read this..know we blame you! lol jk) anyway I had a bit more manga before hand than lindsay (lindsay likes the teenage boy action mangas and I was more into the shoujo or girly mangas) and then we got into the dramas and I went to Peru (in 2009-2010)  and was shocked when I found out their public tv channels show kdramas and then found out they sell kdrama at the market..so as I was stocking up on those before I went home and I found cds of the music from the dramas and found other dvds of what I thought was videos of the songs from the dramas...it ended up music videos and clips from concerts of tons of kpop bands, like Big Bang, TVXQ, SNSD, Shinee....and yeah especially once I listened to Big Bang it basically has been like this:

so I think it was the combo of having been exposed to manga (and some anime/jpop...again thanks to chels) and french music from lindsay that it was just natural like so yeah thats my story
VIP 4 Life!!!

follow me on tumblr!
randomlooking.tumblr.com

Re: How did you get into Kpop?

Cathy
My close friend was a KPOPPER and she loved SUJU and BigBang. She made me listen to their songs and i did like BigBang music. The melody was good and their voices was so smooth and amazing.

However i didn't really download their songs, i just listened to it when she was around.
But then i found out about 2PM.

I loved watching dramas and i was bored one day and tried of all the crying and sadness from dramas. So i decided to watch a variety show that i came across online. It was 2pm idol army and i really FELL in love with them. They were SO funny and i fell for their charms!
I became an obsessed HOTTEST and ONLY followed them and listened to their songs.
But then . . .the JAY PARK thing happen =[

I was super upset because he was my Bias in 2PM. I still supported them afterwards but i just somehow slowly drifted away from kpop. . .

Then around 2012...when artists like BAP.

EXO.

BTOB.

JJ PROJECT.

VIXX.

C-CLOWN.

100%

They made me come back to kpop and i started watching ALL of their shows and listened to ALL of their songs. I realized that ALL kpop groups are so amazing and talented and they work so hard to be where they are at today.
I'm so open to all groups now and I really love all kpop groups and now i'm so obsessed with kpop.
EVERYDAY . EVERYWHERE. EVERY TIME.
It's just KPOP. =] and i couldn't be happier.

Re: How did you get into Kpop?

lawlzNstuff
When i was younger, i was always into anime and manga, and still am. I remember watching my very first kdrama back in my senior year 2011 and that was Boys Over Flowers and i loved it, then i began to watch more kdramas! When i finished Playful Kiss i decided to hear Kim Hyun Joong's music because it mentioned that he was a singer and i wanted to hear his singing because i liked his acting and  a lot of the songs on the dramas, but i wasn't very impressed so i stopped. Dream High is the reason why i fell into the amazing world of K-pop! It showed that many of the actors were a part of different groups so i picked the first one that is said and it was 2PM! The first song that popped up was Heartbeat and it was amazing!! The beastly idols really sold k-pop well haha. So after that i went to the next artist and that was IU, her voice is wonderful ^^ funny thing is, the anime Blue Exorcist had come out around the time that i decided to start listening to 2PM and i loved the ending song to Blue Exorcist, i always sang to it after every episode so my mind was blown when i found out that 2PM sang a song that i was in love with on an awesome anime. Well after that i started listening to different groups too and had so much fun doing it. Now the majority of my music, videos, and shows are either K-pop or Korean related. I am so happy to have learned of this lol
I've been sucked into the magical world of K-pop and i regret nothing ;D

Re: How did you get into Kpop?

stargrl3
Hmm...well, one day, my sister was watching an episode of Star King, and Super Junior happened to be one of the guests on the show. She saw them, got hooked, told me about them, and the rest is well...history. XD Let me tell you the whole story :)

So, while watching Oprah, we discovered this young Filipino singer named Charice. (She's an amazing singer, if you have not heard her sing...well, go and listen to her sing. She has the voice of an angel. She covers a lot of Whitney songs, and she does them justice ;D). Anyway, the reason she was discovered by Oprah is because someone posted a video of her being on Star King on Youtube. My sister was curious about her discovery and found the video of Charice on Star King. Well, she noticed that Super Junior was on there. They were really funny and cute, so she decided to look them up. Listened to their music, watched all their variety shows. She found out they were from SM entertainment. Looked up other artists from SM. Looked up their music, their variety shows. She told me about them. I started doing the same thing, and before we know it, we both are enjoying Kpop music, Kdrama/movies, and Korean culture. :)

Re: How did you get into Kpop?

tfang1289
I got into Kpop during Tech Ed class (woodworking):
The assignment was to carve out a word from a block of wood. Any word was fine, as long as it wasn't inappropriate. The guys were all doing basketball player's names. I was going to do Daenerys (GoT anyone?) and my friend was going to do 'Blue'. I said, 'Blue'? Why blue? Because I knew her favourite color was orange. She then went into a detailed explanation of Bigbang, their Still Alive album, her bias (Taeyang) and Kpop in general.
So yeah, I have Youngbae to thank for getting obsessed with the H-Wave!
One may feel unsatisfied with only 10 members on stage. However, please remember that Super Junior is forever one.
-Super Junior, Eunhyuk

Re: How did you get into Kpop?

outburst
All of these stories are super interesting! So cool how different things brought us together here.

     I got started on KPop through my Korean friend who I talked to a lot on instant message. We would exchange funny and interesting videos often... so at first I think it may have started off with a couple music videos and Star King videos... (Jo-Kwon's ssanti dances were notable ones, which let's be honest, were a really shocking introduction to Korean variety shows xD) So I started exploring the music, and I think some of the first albums I listened to included Big Bang, Super Junior, F.T. Island, and CN Blue (who had just debuted in Korea around then!) and then also SNSD, and SS501.
     But it wasn't until my friend showed me SHINee's Hello Baby on a whim, that I completely taken by the whole fandom thing. It was a really hard idea to explain... what do you mean there's a show about a bunch of teenagers/mid-20 somethings taking care of a baby? What? So I obviously had to figure out what this was all about... and consequently I fell in love with SHINee and KPop until this day!

Yes, Jonghyun, yes it is.

Re: How did you get into Kpop?

PhatUnicorn
so i got into kpop by looking through hairstyling videos on youtube :P i was looking for a hairstyle for my brother and this guy on youtube used taeyang - where you at as his background song so i started to look him up and noticed that he's in a group which is bigbang ^.^ so then on i dicovered many different artist such as 2ne1, girls day, suju, b2st, etc so yeahhh .-. kinda boring of how i started listening to kpop i guess lol but im glad i found out about kpop <3

Re: How did you get into Kpop?

atomic-bomb
-I got into K-Pop around 2009-ish. SO, the Wonder Girls' Nobody English Version had just came out and I stumbled upon it on YouTube:

-The song eventually caught on and even kids at school liked it. I needed to find some more of this kind of music so, I turned to the internet to search more. I realized the hangul since my family (excluding me) were avid Korean Drama fans and viewers. Then I remembered a song I really liked in a drama so I searched for it "korean drama boys over flowers song" I eventually got led to this song:

And my spree continued from there and still is

Re: How did you get into Kpop?

seoulologyy
I first heard about it when Final Fantasy VII came out.
Youtube was fairly new and I looked up fan made videos and the song in the background of one of their songs was-
Grace by Lee Soo Young.
I don't think I would call it KPOP, but it honestly was my introduction to Kpop.
Then I got into Korean dramas and that came along with their OST. haha
But I stayed more on the Korean Indie artist. Didn't really like anything mainstream.
But the deciding factor that made me really into fandoms and collecting albums was one fateful day when I stumbled upon
EPIK HIGH's love love love. There was no turning back after that. Soon after got into YG and bye! bye! bye! to all my allowances. HAHA
Open to all groups, but am a YG stan. ^_________<
12